Monday, February 15, 2010

R U Lstening???

One of the biggest challenges that most people face is "Listening Well." At least once a week something happens that reminds me of the fact that I still have a long way to go on this one. On some level, I take comfort in the fact that this is not a new problem. It's one that the early church needed to deal with as well...

My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, (James 1:19)

Here are a few things that I am trying to focus on to get better:

  • Give my full and complete attention to the person: Turn off the cell phone, close my computer, turn off the tv, etc.
  • I listen more and talk less. (This is a tough one for me because I have so much to say)
  • I ask a lot of question to make certain I am understanding.
  • I take notes.
  • I make certain I follow up if needed.

These things are helping me but I still fall short of where I want to be...

Do any of you have any suggestions that help you become a bteer listener that might help me as well? I'd love to hear from you...

No comments:

Post a Comment