Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Talk is Cheap-Take Action...

I am always challenged by God's Word as I teach God's word. Last week we dealt with James 2:14-26. It is so easy to get up and talk about something and so challenging to put it into practice. James emphasizes that real faith will always take action and not just talk.

"In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead." (James 2:17)


In the middle of my study last week, I received an email from a friend who was very upset with me. I had promised I would do something for him several months ago and I have not done it. My first thought was to be mad about what he was saying. Then I thought, I have plenty of reasons why I have not followed through...

I have been very busy.

He never followed up with me.

I simply forgot about it.

All are true, but none of them really matters. The truth is that I made a promise and have done nothing. As I think about it, I do that more often that I would like to admit. I say...

I will pray for you...

I will call you...

Let's get together for coffee...

And I never take action. Once more I am reminder that it's not what I say that matters, it's what I do...

So, today I am going to pick up the phone and call my friend and begin to take action on what I said. What action do you need to take today???

2 comments:

  1. I really was struck by your lesson last Sunday, so much so that I have been making an effort this week and am going to try to continue to put my words into action.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know this is so true. I think about this when I say I'm going to pray for you and forget. Awesome word!

    ReplyDelete