Monday, July 20, 2009

Him More, Me Less...

I know that none of you can relate to this and that I should not admit it, but I can spend a lot of time thinking of ways to make myself look good and wanting to be the center of attention. After all I am pretty good...

I can spend a lot of time comparing myself to others and thinking of ways that I am better than they are. I can spend a lot of time thinking about how much better we do ministry than other churches. I can spend a lot of time and energy thinking about the best way to grow this church and advance the cause of Christ and if I am not careful, my real motive is that i want to make me look good.

So, whenever I read John 3:22-30 and listen to what John the Baptist had to say, I realize that I still have a long way to go in my walk with Christ. John had built up a great reputation and a big following of disciples. Many were coming out to hear him until Jesus came on the scene. All of a sudden John took a back seat to all of this.

Some of John's disciples were concerned that many were leaving John to follow Jesus. Perhaps they thought this would be an issue for their friend. John, on the other hand, was handling all of this quite well. John knew what his role was and was quite happy to fulfill that role and was able to celebrate all that Jesus was doing and he even encouraged people to follow him. John said...

He must become greater; I must become less. (John 3:30)

John's role was to point people to Jesus and trust God with the rest. That is what I want for my life. I want Jesus to become great and for me to become less. Pray for me to let this be the focus of my life. I will pray that it be the focus for you as well. If this is what we do as His church, then we will accomplish His purpose for our lives...
He must become greater; I must become less.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for honestly sharing your struggles, Bill. I appreciate your vulnerability--a rare quality.
    Blessings,
    Janet Mc

    ReplyDelete