Thursday, August 23, 2012

Are You Facing Relational Drift?

I find myself at a place where I am working with several individuals and couples in their relationship.  Many are finally coming to realize that there are more issues going on than they were aware of.

I can relate to all of this so well.  There have been times in my marriage that I have out the ministry first, me first, others first and just completely ignored and sometimes even forgot about the needs of my wife.  It's never been fun nor easy to face the truth about my own selfishness and the way that I can so easily give to others and let my relationship drift.

Some signs that your relationship may be drifting:

1. You are now spending more time with your career, school, children or others than you used to?

2. You can't remember the last time you took your spouse out on a date?

3. You only talk about the things that you have to talk about: the kids, your schedule, who's doing what when.  You aren't about each other and what you need from each other.
 

Maybe some of this describes you.  If so, what can you and what will you do to stop the relational drift before it goes any further?

 I've learned that I need to put MORE energy and focus on my marriage than on my kids, my ministry or on others.  I've learned that I have to TAKE TIME to be with Kim and make certain nothing gets in the way.  We do "Date Nights" once a week and I love it.

 Let me know what helps you and what you've learned along the way.  I'd love to hear from you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment