Tuesday, January 12, 2010

What Breaks Your Heart?

I am currently reading a book that is challenging me on so many levels. The title is "The Hole in our Gospel", by Richard Stearns president of World Vision. The book tells of his journey and how God called him from a very lucrative CEO position in the business world to lead the ministry of World Vision.

He quotes Bob Pierce, founder of World Vision, who challenged others to pray with him, "Let my heart be broken by the things that break the heart of God."

I believe that God's heart is broken over the suffering and injustice that many face in our world today. God's heart is broken as we become more and more insensitive to the cries of the poor, those suffering from AIDS, malaria, TB and other diseases simply because of a lack of drugs that we take for granted. God's heart is broken over the more than 26,000 children who die each day from starvation and the preventable diseases that are related to their poverty.

God is breaking my heart over the needs of the poor, the unemployed and those who are suffering in my own city of Reno where 95% of those living here are unchurched and thousands are unemployed and finding it more and more difficult to provide for their families. Jesus said...

“The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.” (Luke 4:18-19)

The gospel requires that we do more than just preach the truth, we must act to help alleviate the suffering in this world. Our hearts be broken for those in need. I don't know what all that means for me today, nor for the Bridge Church that I am called to lead. But I do know that doing nothing is not an option. We are responding more today to the physical needs of those around us. We are helping to assist the local mission here, we are working with an organization that helps teen-age mothers and we are partnering with a local food bank. But, I believe that we are called to do more and trust that God will direct as as we seek Him and pray that we will be obedient to His call.

So, let me ask you: What breaks your heart and what are you doing about it?

2 comments:

  1. I've just recently begun being affected by the plight of the immigrant. I know it's silly to say because I live in San Diego and I've witnessed to zero immigrants and I've barely started learning a foreign language, but maybe something will happen to bring me closer to what might be a call. Thank you for this post. It was good for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haiti breaks my heart--the disaster there, the suffering. My family is giving to organizations we trust--such as World Vision and Samaritan's Purse. Daughter Bethany and her friend Kayla are doing recycling at school to give all the money to Haiti relief through World Vision.
    Thank you for posting this, Bill...even before Haiti.

    ReplyDelete