Thursday, February 4, 2010

How Do You Identify Yourself?

I am starting a new teaching series this weekend called "Life: Some Assembly Required" from the book of James. It's a great book with a lot of wisdom about how to live your life and I'm so excited about teaching it.

But there is one thing that jumps out at me in James 1:1 and it's the way that James identifies himself to his readers...

James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, To the twelve tribes scattered among the nations: Greetings. (James 1:1)

He calls himself a SERVANT of God and the Lord Jesus Christ. This is quite amazing when you know who James really is. You see James is the brother of Jesus.

“Isn’t this the carpenter’s son? Isn’t his mother’s name Mary, and aren’t his brothers James, Joseph, Simon and Judas? (Matt. 13:55)

Now if I had been writing this letter, I know what I would have said. I would have said, "Hey, my name is James and I am the brother of Jesus. I grew up with him. I got to see things you don't know about. I did not always get along with Him and I did not believe He was the Messiah. But, He appeared to me after His death and resurrection (1 Cor. 15:7) and I've been convinced ever since. So, since Jesus is my brother, you can trust what I am about to tell you because I am speaking with experience and authority."

BUT, James did not do this. He never tells us anything about his background nor about his family. He simply says, I am a SERVANT of God and the Lord Jesus Christ.

This makes me think about how I identify myself. Sometimes I want people to know who I am and who I know. I want people to think more highly of me because of who I am..I say thinks like ...

I am a pastor and I studied at...

I am the Senior Pastor at the Bridge Church

I know so and so...

I am a husband

I am a father, etc. etc..

All of this is true, but perhaps the best way to identify myself is to simply say:
I am a SERVANT of God and the Lord Jesus Christ... Maybe if I were to do this it would help me keep the right focus about who I really am and who needs to be in the spotlight. I don't know.

Tell me, what do you think??? How do you identify yourself?

2 comments:

  1. Good word. I think if we ingrain that mentality of genuine servanthood into our hearts, then we would become better at the titles you mentioned (i.e. pastor, husband, father, etc). We must always be careful that we never cherich the title, above the opportunity of service that comes with the title. Thanks for sharing.

    Allen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! The servant's heart is my greatest struggle....thanks for the words to ponder.Susan

    ReplyDelete