Tuesday, June 9, 2009

My Top Five Percent...

I am away this week on a personal retreat for study, planning, prayer and reflection. It's always hard to force myself to stop and get away for these, but when I do, I am reminded that I must do it more often.

I am reading a book by Wayne Cordeiro tilted, "Leading on Empty". It's a great book about our need to slow down and take time to refill our tanks and renew our passion.

In one of the chapters, he made some interesting statements. He said that 85% of what we do could be done by almost anyone else. 10% of what we do could be done by someone else with a little bit of training and education. But, only 5% of what we do can be done only by us. Pretty humbling to think as about, isn't it?

I have been giving a lot of thought to these statements over the last couple of days and I believe that he is correct. His point is that we must make certain that we take care of the top 5% of our lives first, if we don't do it, no one else can and no one else will.

So,as I have spent some time thinking, here are my top 5% that I must take responsibility for each and every day... These must get by best time and not my left over time.

1. A growing and vibrant personal relationship with Christ.
2. A genuine, healthy and authentic relationship with my wife and children.
3. Leading a God-honoring, Christ-centered ministry.
4. Taking responsibility for a physically healthy body and a creative mind.
5. Taking time to enjoy life with family and friends.

So, what do you think? What is it that you are doing that only you can do? What are your Top Five Percent? I'd love to hear from you...

2 comments:

  1. Great food for thought........or scary food for thought??? Perhaps, I need to get away and "think!" I am keeping you in prayer, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was googling the idea of the top five percent to see what others might put on their list. Our lists are very similar (and I am sure inspired by Wayne). His book is good...and sobering.

    ReplyDelete