Monday, February 27, 2012

Asleep or Awake?


They went to a place called Gethsemane, and Jesus said to his disciples, “Sit here while I pray.” He took Peter, James and John along with him, and he began to be deeply distressed and troubled. “My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death,” he said to them. “Stay here and keep watch.”” (Mark 14:32–34)  


When Jesus went to the garden to pray, he knew that the end was near.  He also knew that he needed help so he asked the disciples closest to him to watch and pray for him.  Instead of watching and praying, they feel asleep-not once or twice but three times.

Each time Jesus came a woke them up and seem astonished that they could not stay awake and pray on his behalf.  They really wanted to stay awake on his behalf but just were not able to do so.


Then he returned to his disciples and found them sleeping. “Simon,” he said to Peter, “are you asleep? Couldn’t you keep watch for one hour? Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.”” (Mark 14:37–38)

All of this makes me wonder how often I have been "asleep" when others needed me.  I have often told people that I would pray for them or do something for them only to walk away and forget.  It's easy to get consumed by what is happening in my life and overlook the needs of others around me.  

How about you?  Are you awake or asleep?  Is there anyone in your life who needs you today?
  

No comments:

Post a Comment