Monday, March 23, 2009

Day 1


We live in a fast paced world with more things to distract us than anyone can count. Often our time alone with God gets overlooked and pushed aside. I want us to do something about that in our lives.


Yesterday, I submitted the 21 Day Challenge to our church and was pleasantly surprised at how many responded indicating they would be participating (I got the idea from a friend of mine in ministry). I am thrilled!!! We will be reading through the Gospel of John one chapter each day-leading up to Easter Sunday, April 21.

Let me give you some background to the Gospel of John:

It was written somewhere between AD 80-90. John tells his purpose in writing, "... these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name" (John 20:31).

In order to accomplish his purpose, John tells us about seven miracles in his gospel to prove that Jesus Christ is the Son of God: turning water to wine (2:1-10), healing a nobleman's son (4:46-54), healing a paralytic (5:1-9), feeding the 5,000 (6:1-14), walking on the water (6:15-21), healing the blind man (9:1-41), and raising a dead man from the dead (11:1-57).


To further prove Jesus is the Son of God, John records seven "I AM" statements where Christ affirmed that He was God: Bread of Life (6:35, 41, 48, 51); Light of the World (8:12); the Door (10:7, 9); Good Shepherd (10:11, 14); Resurrection and the Life (11:25); the Way, the Truth, and the Life (14:6); and the True Vine (15:1, 5).

I will attempt to post some of my thoughts and ideas here as I read each day. I would love for you to add your comments as well so that we all can share in this experience and learn from each other. So, please join in the conversation....

Day 1: John 1

This verse grabbed my attention today:

The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, “Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world! (John 1:29)

Jesus did not come to be a great teacher, although he was an amazing teacher. He did not come to be a great example on how we should live, although he lived a life that was absolutely pleasing to God. Jesus came for one reason to become the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world. John recognized this and it changed his life. Jesus came to sacrifice His life and take away my sin. And this has changed my life forever. He is my only hope for salvation and the forgiveness of my sins. I can live in the freedom that comes from knowing that I am forgiven. My prayer is that I would live in this truth today and allow God to use me for His glory.

Your thoughts about John 1...






3 comments:

  1. Bill, That verse jumped out at me too, I got an amazing image in my head of that event when I read that verse. But even before then, verse 4 (NLT),

    "The Word gave life to everything that was created, and his life brought light to everyone."

    This verse reminds me of how when we view things through Jesus' eyes, it changes everything. My experience has been that the Light of the World is so powerful that it has the ability to turn anger for one's enemy into tears of compassion, hope, and forgiveness. Every time I truly realize how God has forgiven me of each and every one of my sins, regardless of how small or how large, I become a beacon of forgiveness and I'm overtaken by thankfulness ... which usually leads to a song of praise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a spine shivering moment today thinking about something along the lines of salvation and eternity while reading John today. (And I admit I actually wasn't reading John 1, only because the Spirit had actually led me to start reading John earlier last week before knowing we were going to read it together...) Anyway, I was thinking about passing over to the next life. I was just talking to God and thinking about how when I die, God's going to be right there watching over it, and I was just praying that Jesus would be there leading me home. Thinking about how glorious and beautiful (not to say unimaginable!) it's going to be and how I can trust and believe in His promise of an eternity with Him. Peace. Sigh. It gave me shivers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kat and Jason thanks for sharing your thoughts. It's amazing that I can trust Jesus not only to forgive all of my sins (which is totally mind blowing), but I can also trust Him with my life today and for eternity. Wow...

    ReplyDelete