Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Day 3 More and Less


John 3

There are several things that catch my attention in this chapter. The conversation that Jesus had with Nicodemus about being "born again" and Nicodemus trying to understand what He means. Then there is perhaps the best known verse in all of the Scriptures:

“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." (John 3:16)

But there is something the John the Baptist said that grabs my heart today. John's disciples were upset that Jesus was also baptizing people and that many people were beginning to follow Jesus and leave John. They thought it would bother John as well. However, they were wrong. John had a much different perspective of his role here. John understood that his role was to point others to Jesus and he knew that ultimately meant that Jesus' ministry would grow and his would shrink. He was not upset, nor was he bothered about it.

He (Jesus) must become greater; I must become less. (John 3:30)

This verse always challenges me. I want to have the humility and grace that John has. I do want Jesus to become greater and I become lesser, but I often allow my ego and pride to get in the way.

I often want to make it be about me and not about Jesus.

I often have a hard time celebrating when I see God blessing others in a way that I am not.

I want to receive criticism well.

I find it much easier to say this than to live it.

But, I do want to live it.

My prayer today is that others would see more of Jesus and less of me. Jesus must become greater and I must become less. If you want to know how to pray for me, this is it.

So, can you relate? How do you deal with this in your life? Your thoughts...

1 comment:

  1. Uncle Bill. I was parusing your church website and was glad to see your blog. I have a theme I try to remember in my life. I use this illustration for a lot of things, so I will use it here as well. If I ever think I need to remember my place I remember the saying about the turtle and the fence post. It is said that if you ever see a turtle on a fence post you know he didn't get there by himself. So I try to remember that if I am going through a period where things are going well, I am sitting on that fence post and tend to think highly of myself, I remember I couldn't have gotten there myself. I am there by the grace of God. Likewise if I am in a rough patch desperately wanting to get back on that fence post, it is impossible for me to get there by myself. I have to ask and wait for God to put me there if I am to get up there. John chapter 3 is one of my favorite chapter in the Bible. Lots to think about. Have a good one.

    ReplyDelete