Monday, March 30, 2009

Day 8: Stop Throwing Stones...

John 8:1-11

When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her.” Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground. (John 8:7-8)


Jesus and the woman caught in adultery. This is probably one of the most well known portions of the Bible. It is well known because of the audacity of the Pharisees to bring the woman, who was caught in the act of adultery, to Jesus. (I've always wondered why they did not bring the man who was with her if she was caught in the act). It's well known because their motives were not concern for the woman or for what was right, but their concern was to trap Jesus. It's also well known because of the way that Jesus responded to them and to her.

It's easy for me to get upset and angry with the Pharisees because of the way that they treated this woman. It's easy for me to want to throw stones at them for their self righteous attitude. Why is it so easy for me to become like them?

It's easy for me to be quick to criticize others and think I am the one who is so right.

It's easy for me to belittle others and judge them.

It's easy for me to make fun of them.

It's easy for me to want to see others "get it" because they "deserve it".


Why is it so easy for me to do that? I think it's easy because, like the Pharisees, I want to feel good about me so I tear down others. Just like the bully on the playground I want to make others look bad so I can feel good. And, at that point my motives are no better that those of the Pharisees.

I am so glad that Jesus did not get drawn into their little game. Instead, He stopped and took some time to think. He made the point that we all need to take a look at ourselves and our own sin before we are so quick to start throwing stones at each other. Sometimes I allow my ego to get in the way of loving God and loving people.

That does not mean that we have to agree with everyone or never love people enough to point out their sin and shortcomings. Jesus certainly cared enough for this woman and the Pharisees that He did not throw stones at either, but lovingly pointed out where they were wrong.

At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there. Jesus straightened up and asked her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?” No one, sir,” she said “Then neither do I condemn you,” Jesus declared. “Go now and leave your life of sin.” (John 8:9-11)

I need to take a look long at myself first and make certain that I do what I do because I love God and I love others. Not because I want to look good and be right...

It's time to stop throwing stones...

2 comments:

  1. In John 8;7, Jesus quietly (?) but powerfully shredded the trap of the teachers of the Law and the Pharisees.
    They brought to Jesus, in the temple courts, a womwn caught in adultery. (Like Pastor Bill, I've always wondered where was the man who was with her?)They wanted a big audience, I think. They must have felt so sure of "trapping" Jesus this time. How would Jesus answeer? If he said, "No, don't stone her", he'd break the law. But Jesus put the decision right back on the accusers.
    After bending over and writing in the dust, Jesus looked up and said, "If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her." Then he bent down again to write on the ground.
    One by one the accusers went away. Jesus didn't lecture them; didn't accuse them; Jesus gave them an "out."

    Sometmes, I do tend to accuse others of wrong doing:thinking, I'd never do that or how could you do that,it's so wrong. Looking back over my life, I'm so grateful to the Lord, for his mercy and grace.

    I do wonder, too, what Jesus wrote in the dust.

    June Varnum

    ReplyDelete
  2. How come Jesus could forgive the woman? He was not an elected judge or was he?

    ReplyDelete