Friday, March 9, 2012

Are You Listening to the Words Coming out of Your Mouth?...

I don't know about you but I often find myself saying things and making promises that I just don't keep.  It's not that I intentionally lie when I say them.  I really do intend to keep those word and follow through on what I say.

There are lots of reasons that I give for not doing them such as: "I forgot or it slipped my mind".  But the truth is that I often make promises without thinking things through.  I speak quickly because I want to impress someone and have them think I am better than I really am.  I let my pride get in the way of my words and make promises that I just can't keep.

That's what Peter did.  He made Jesus a promise that he never thought through.  He meant it when he said it-he intended to do it.  But when it came down to it, he could not and he did not.  He made a promise that he did not keep.  He allowed his pride to get in the way.


Peter protested, “Even if I had to die with you, I would never deny you.” All the others said the same thing.” (Matthew 26:35)

He remembered what Jesus had said: “Before the rooster crows, you will deny me three times.” He went out and cried and cried and cried.” (Matthew 26:75)  

I do the same. I speak too quickly and often make promises I don't keep ad disappoint and hurt people.   Today, I want to be careful and listen to the words that are coming out of my mouth.  I want to under promise and over deliver.  How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment