Monday, March 26, 2012

A Promise and then, Another One.

There are lots of promises that God gives us that I love and that we all love.  Promises like He will never leave us or forsake us.  Promises like he will bring good into our lives from everything that happens to us.  Promises like all of our sins are forgiven because of what Jesus did for us on the cross-that's a really good one.

But there are some promises that I wish he had never given to us.  Jesus gives us one in John 16:

In this world you will have trouble... (John 16:33)  Now that is a promise that I could live without-I expect that you could as well.  We all will face trouble-all kinds of trouble.  Health problems-economic problems-relational problems-personal struggles-family issues and on and on we could go.  In fact, some of you reading this today are facing some troubles that you had no idea you would be facing when you awoke today.

This world is full of troubles and no one is immune to them.  This is a promise that bring great discouragement and it would if it were not for the next promise that Jesus gives.


“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33)  

I am grateful for the next promise that comes. In this world we will have troubles but we can take heart because Jesus has overcome the world.  The world we live in and the troubles we face don't win.  He does and we can take heart that because he has overcome the world we will also.

A promise and then, another one.  That's what I'm banking my life-how about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment