Saturday, March 10, 2012

No Excuses

Silence was what Pilate got when he asked Jesus to explain who he was and why he was being condemned by his own people.  Silence-no explanations.  Silence-no whining or attempts at self preservation.  Silence-even when Pilate knew that he had done nothing wrong-even when he knew that the religious leaders had other motives for demanding that Jesus be executed.

Pilate and others around him were amazed that Jesus was silent as he was being tried and eventually convicted.  No prisoner ever remains silent.  They always plead their case and try to get out of it.  Not Jesus.  He says nothing in his own defense  He just listens.


But when the leading priests and the elders made their accusations against him, Jesus remained silent. “Don’t you hear all these charges they are bringing against you?” Pilate demanded. But Jesus made no response to any of the charges, much to the governor’s surprise.” (Matthew 27:12–14)  

Why?  Why would he remain quiet?  Why, when he had done nothing wrong?  Why when he knew the real motives of those responsible?  Why?  Because Jesus was there, not for his sin, but for ours.  Why, because he knew there was no other way for our salvation.  Why, because he knew that sin has no excuse.  

Your sin and my sin has no excuse.  Think about that-we all come up with excuses.  I can be the kings of excuses.  He made me-she started it.  It was their fault.  I would have never if they had not...  It's been a rough day, week, month, year or life.  If only this had not happened, then...

But today, I'm reminded that Jesus' silence had nothing to do with him-it had everything to do with me and my sin.  I have no excuse!!!  I have nothing to bring to a Holy God.  All I have is the one who  kept silent and took my place.  I am grateful that he had no excuses to make.  His silence was not weakness but unimaginable strength and love.  

Today, because of Jesus, I have no excuse,  but u have HOPE.   How about you?  

No comments:

Post a Comment