Wednesday, March 7, 2012

You Never Know

We're in the middle of Project 20/40.  As a Church we are doing 20 service projects in the next 40 days leading up to Easter serving both inside and outside the wall of the Body here.

The truth is that every day we all have several opportunities to serve people and make a real difference.  It does not have to be some big project-it can be some small thing you say that can make a huge difference.  I was reminded of this last week.

Last week I was standing in line at place to get some food.  I could not help but overhear the words of a customer to the person working behind the counter.  He was ride, crude and totally out of line.  I really felt for the person who had to wait on him.

When I finally got to the front of the line, I looked to person behind the counter in the eye and said, I'm sorry that you had to listen to all of those things that were said to you.  No one deserves to be treated that way. She looked up and had the biggest smile and said, you've just made my day. Finally, I got it right and walked away thinking that I need to be much more awake and alert to the needs of the people that I see-even when it is a short encounter because you never know.


“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’” (Matthew 25:40)

What can you do today for the least of these?  Let me hear your story.  



1 comment:

  1. It is amazing what a kind word, a smile, a hug, or an acknowledgment of someone can do to really brighten their day. We all need to feel like we are noticed and that we matter. Thanks for the reminder Bill :)

    A few months ago we were given the Idea to keep fast food coupons handy for when we saw someone who really needed them. I was at the McDonald's drive thru getting Breakfast for our family when I saw a homeless woman I had recognized from the area. I had avoided her before, mainly because I just didn't know how to act and my behavior had bothered me for a while. I had felt very blessed by God to be able to make up for my previous behavior. I purchased a gift card and had to park and go into the restaurant to find her. I gave her the gift card and told her I hoped she had a good day. She smiled and said thank you. Obviously shocked to be noticed.

    With out the Bridge and the lessons I learn there, I would not be evolving into a person I can be proud of. Thank you for teaching us what a Christ follower is. Someone who loves unconditionally.

    ReplyDelete