Thursday, March 15, 2012

God's More is Not Our More

Once again, Jesus makes it clear that God's standards are not our standards.  We look at the big things and are impressed.  We like big houses, big cars, big salaries ad, as a pastor, I like big numbers.  God looks beyond the size of anything and looks to the heart of the matter.


While Jesus was in the Temple, he watched the rich people dropping their gifts in the collection box. Then a poor widow came by and dropped in two small coins. “I tell you the truth,” Jesus said, “this poor widow has given more than all the rest of them. For they have given a tiny part of their surplus, but she, poor as she is, has given everything she has.”(Luke 21:1–4)  

I expect I would have been impressed by the size and the amount of the gifts the rich people were giving and perhaps even grateful for the small gift given by the poor widow.  But Jesus saw it differently.  He saw their gift as being small and hers as being MORE.  Why???  She gave everything she had-meaning she gave trusting God to take care of her and her needs because she had no surplus at home.  The rich gave a tiny portion out of their surplus-meaning that they knew they would be okay because they still had more at home.  

It was not the gift that impressed Jesus-her gift we just an indication of her trust in God to take care of her.  Her gift was more because her trust was more.  As God looks at my life today what does he see?  Does he see me living life by by giving of myself just a little of myself or will I live life today giving everything that I have?  

No comments:

Post a Comment