Thursday, April 2, 2009

Day 11: Finding Motivation...

John 11 is filled with LIFE and HOPE along with a little confusion. After hearing that Lazarus is sick, Jesus does not immediately go to see him even though he loves him dearly. Jesus waits because God has a bigger plan and purpose in mind. He was going to raise Lazarus from the dead... God's glory and his love for people was what motivated him.

When he heard this, Jesus said, “This sickness will not end in death. No, it is for God’s glory so that God’s Son may be glorified through it.” Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Lazarus. (John 11:4)

I wonder how often I jump when people want me to instead of being in tune with God's will and making certain that I move because he says to-not because some one expects me too. Jesus had this incredible ability to hear God's voice and respond to the needs of people. He did not react to what was happening, he was strategic and intentional with his time and relationships. He waited until the right time. Sometimes waiting is the best thing we can do. I must ask: what motivates me?

As a result of this, Jesus was able to step into a very hopeless situation and bring real hope not only to the sisters but to many others who were there. Listen to what he said to Martha...

Jesus said to her, “Your brother will rise again.” Martha answered, “I know he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day. Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this? “Yes, Lord,” she told him, “I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God, who was to come into the world.” (John 11:23-27)

Jesus makes it clear to her that he is the source of life for this life and for the next. He is the one who can bring life from death, who can give purpose in the middle of chaos and who loves us even when we think he does not. He may not act like or when we think he should. But act he will and it will always be for God's glory and it will always be because he loves us dearly.

When he had said this, Jesus called in a loud voice,
“Lazarus, come out!” The dead man came out, his hands and feet wrapped with strips of linen, and a cloth around his face. Jesus said to them, “Take off the grave clothes and let him go.” (John 11:43-44)

Jesus raises Lazarus from the dead...

Life and Hope are found in a person, that Son of God. This one who has the power to raise people from the dead and give them life. The one who is motivated by God's glory and love for people.

So, today I look at what motivates me. What is motivating you today?

No comments:

Post a Comment