Saturday, April 11, 2009

Day 20: He Is Alive!

The sorrow of the disciples and those who followed Jesus turned to joy on the first day of the week. They went to the tomb and found that it was empty. But more than that, Jesus showed up in the room where they were meeting.

On the evening of that first day of the week, when the disciples were together, with the doors locked for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you!” 20 After he said this, he showed them his hands and side. The disciples were overjoyed when they saw the Lord. (John 20:19-20)

They were overjoyed when they SAW the Lord.. What an understatement.

Can you imagine what it would heave felt like to have seen him that day? If you had been there. Followed him. Believed in him. Trusted him. Watched him die. Saw the tomb where he was laid. Lived in fear for the past few days thinking you may be next.

Now, he is in the room with you. Now he is alive...

Then he shows up seven days later so that Thomas could see and believe. And it was at that time that he spoke about me and you...

A week later his disciples were in the house again, and Thomas was with them. Though the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you!” 27 Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.” Thomas said to him, “My Lord and my God! Then Jesus told him, “Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed. (John 20:26-29)

...blessed are those who have not seen and yet believe.

God's blessings come to those who have not seen and yet believe. I believe today because of the testimony of those who saw him. I believe today because of the witness of history. I believe today because of my changed life.

He is alive and I celebrate. I have hope for today and tomorrow. I believe life can be different. That relationships can be reconciled. That sins can be forgiveness. That you and I can start all over.

I believe because Jesus demonstrated that he is who he said he is. The resurrection proves it and life will never be the same.

So, today, tell someone. Today celebrate and remember.

1 comment: