Saturday, April 4, 2009

Day 13: The key to happiness..

Hope you are getting as much out of John as I am...

People are looking everywhere to find the key to what will bring lasing happiness for their lives. We often think that we will find happiness and meaning for our lives by focusing on us. Jesus makes it completely clear, both by words and actions that happiness and meaning comes as we are willing to "wash each other's feet". As we are willing to serve others and put their needs ahead of us.

Jesus knew that he only had a few more hours left on this earth. He knew that in less than 24 hours, he would be dead. So, how does he choose to spend his last evening with his disciples? He chooses to be their servant and wash their dirty, stinking feet.

When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place.
“Do you understand what I have done for you?” he asked them. “You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and rightly so, for that is what I am. Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. I tell you the truth, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them. (John13:12-17)

So, the key to happiness, to being blessed is to be found by serving others. We find our lives by being willing to give it away.

Father, today may I serve others and give my life away.

No comments:

Post a Comment