Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Day 17: What Matters Most...

You can tell a lot about a person and their values when they know the end is near. The things that matter most become the things that they talk about. Jesus knew that he would be arrested, tried and crucified all within a few short hours.

So, what does he talk about? What is on his mind? He prays. But he does not focus on his situation. Instead he focuses in his disciples and on us.

What does he pray for? Take a look....

“My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message,
that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one: I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. (John 17:20-23)


He prays that we, those who believe in Him, may be one. He prays that we demonstrate and display unity to let the world know that the Father had sent him and that the Father loves us.

At this moment, Jesus is not focused on the pain and hell that he will face on the cross. Instead, he is focused on the one thing that he knows will matter most in the end and will be the most difficult to accomplish: UNITY.

Unity is what matters most to Jesus right before the end comes. Unity must matter to us. May we work hard to demonstrate to the world who Jesus is and who we are by the way that we treat each other. We are ONE with each person or group who embrace the Savior. We are not in competition with anyone.

We focus on how we are different. Jesus said we should focus on how we are alike.

As we approach Easter Sunday, let us remember that we are part of what God is doing in this world. We have a message of life and hope to proclaim because we know a Risen Savior. We are one with the Father because of Jesus and one with each other. May we focus on what matters most and display unity with one another.



No comments:

Post a Comment