Friday, April 3, 2009

Day 12: For God's Glory...

John 12 tells us what takes place on Palm Sunday. Jesus entered Jerusalem and a great crowd came out to worship him. Because He had raised Lazarus from the dead many now believed in Him. There was a great celebration taking place.

Yet, Jesus knew that in a few days this same crowd who was worshiping Him would cry out for Him to be crucified. He knew their worship would be short lived. In spite this, He was committed to follow through with what He came here to do. He was not after the praise of men. There was something else that motivated Him. He was committed to go to the cross in order to glorify His Father.

Now my heart is troubled, and what shall I say? ‘Father, save me from this hour’? No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour.
Father, glorify your name!” Then a voice came from heaven, “I have glorified it, and will glorify it again.” (John 12: 27-28)

As we continue through John, we will see all that Jesus went through to accomplish what God sent Him to do. We will watch these crowds turn against Him-even His disciples will desert Him. Yet, nothing stopped Him from glorifying God.

I have to ask myself if I am as committed to God's glory as Jesus was. Will I remain steadfast in my love for Him and my willingness to live for Him regardless of what happens? I want to do this, but I often find that I allow other things to get in the way.

I find myself getting so focused on the things that are happening around me that I forget what matters most.

A critical word can consume me.

Bad news from someone I love can stop me in my tracks.

Pleasing people can become my focus.

My own ego and desires can get in the way.

My prayer is that God will give me the same resolve that Jesus had. So that regardless of what happens to me or around me, my commitment is to follow through with what God has called me to do. I don't want to get carried away by the praise of men. I want to live for God's glory and nothing else. Please pray that this will be true of me as I am praying that it will be true of you as well.

For God's Glory...

No comments:

Post a Comment